SUMMER DISTRICT MEETINGS – AUGUST 2022
Four District Meetings for SWCD Staff and Supervisors are scheduled in August throughout the state of Indiana. Please choose to attend the date and location that is best for you.
Cost: $25/person ($26 if paying with credit card online). This fee covers costs associated with dinner, speaker fee and venue.
All Meetings are 5:30 pm – 8:30 pm (Eastern) and registration is required.
|Date:||County:||Registration Site:||Address to Location:||DEADLINE TO REGISTER (EDT):|
|8/23/22||White County (Monticello)||https://bit.ly/SDM_Aug23||4-H White County Fairgrounds, 12 N 25 E, Reynolds, IN 47980||August 5 at 12 noon|
|8/25/22||Decatur County (Greensburg)||https://bit.ly/SDM_Aug25||City of Greensburg Govt. bldg, 314 W Washington St., Greensburg IN 47240||August 11 at 12 noon|
|8/29/22||Daviess County (Washington)||https://bit.ly/SDM_Aug29||Conservation Club, 350 W 150 S, Washington, IN 47501||August 15 at 12 noon|
|8/31/22||Huntington County (Huntington)||https://bit.ly/SDM_Aug31||Huntington University, 2303 College Ave., Huntington, IN 46750||August 17 at 12 noon|
Past Trainings or Meetings with Recorded Links
June 29, 2022
IDEM Storm Water Permitting Webinar for SWCDs
2022 April Lunch ‘n Learn Sessions: Training for Indiana District Staff and Supervisors
April 6 Lunch ‘n Learn
“Resources to Assist Small Farm & Urban Customers” – RECORDING
and Presentation Slides (presenter: Elli Blaine)
April 13 Lunch ‘n Learn
“Working Smarter, Not Harder: Planning & Prioritizing Invasive Management” – RECORDING and Presentation Slides (presenter: Emily Finch)
April 20 Lunch ‘n Learn
“Conservation 101” – RECORDING and Presentation Slides (presenter: Chris Lee)
April 27 Lunch ‘n Learn
“Optimizing Field Day Impact and Attendee Experience” – RECORDING and Presentation Slides (presenters: Leslie Fisher and Seth Harden). Field Day Checklist
Public Access Law Update – March 17, 2022 (recording)
An overview of the Public Access Law, requirements for board and annual meetings, and how things have changed during the COVID pandemic, and how they are different now with the public health emergency ended.
Presenter: Luke Britt, Public Access Councilor.
Legislative Preview – January 5, 2022 (recording)
Presented by Cresswell Hizer and Joe Schmees
VirTuesdays: Training for Indiana Soil & Water District Staff and Supervisors (2021)
Once each month, July through October, a series of four VirTuesdays were hosted by the Indiana State Department of Agriculture and the Indiana Association of Soil & Water Conservation Districts. Below are the links to each recording.
ELECTRONIC RECORDS TRAINING – October 27, 2021
October 27 – Electronic Records – RECORDING
Chat Box with Resources
PowerPoint Slides for Electronic Records Presentation
Examples of Social Media Policies (four examples)
Indiana Public Records Laws and Social Media | ArchiveSocial
Your District Dues At Work
If you need immediate assistance or can’t find what you’re looking for, please contact Joe Schmees or Amy Work at 317-692-7374.
- Indiana Watershed Group Finder – a companion site to the Indiana HUC Finder, both developed through the Indiana Watershed Leadership Program in collaboration with the IDEM and IASWCD. The Finder is a Google Map based tool that makes it easy to find active watershed or watershed-focused groups throughout Indiana.
Government Shutdown Plans and Procedures:
- Shutdown Procedures (PDF) from the National Conservation District Employees Association.
- USDA Agencies procedures and contingency plans developed for use in the event of a lapse in funding (government shutdown).
Unique Opportunites for Districts
- Rent Green Fire: Aldo Leopold & A Land Ethic for our Time from IASWCD
- Download the loan agreement. Sign and send it to us at email@example.com
- Customizable District brochure
- Available as a PDF (High quality, but text and photos cannot be changed; consider affixing a label to it.)
- Available as a Publisher file (Fully customizable, but not as high-quality.)
- Conservation Development Resources: IASWCD’s listing of funding and training opportunities
- Google Apps for Districts: An “Apps” account comes with useful tools like Google Calendar, Drive, Sites, etc. Contact us to request one of these free accounts.
- IASWCD Awards, such as Conservation Farmer of the Year, Supervisor of the Year, River Friendly Farmer, etc.
- Put Planning First: A guide from NRCS to help local SWCDs put together a conservation plan tailored for farmer customers.
- Envirothon is a competitive learning event for high school-aged students that tests the students’ knowledge of resources including soils, forestry, wildlife and current environmental issues.
- NACD Poster &Photo Contests for young students
- Easy Steps Marketing Plan for Districts (PDF)
- Blueprint for Locally-Led Conservation – A Strategy for District Success and Sustainability (NACD, July 2016)
- What Should a Funding Plan Include? Recommendations for Districts
- Advocating for Conservation Before the County Board (article dated 1-2-18)
Publications & Information to Share with the Public
- What are SWCDs? General information and quick facts about Districts’ roles, governance, and funding.
- Pathway to Water Quality, coordinated by the Indiana Conservation Partnership, is a permanent exhibit at the State Fair that teaches home and farm conservation.
- Resources for common conservation practices for home and farm use, from the Hoosier Heartland RC&D.
- The Water Cycle: Nature’s Recycling System is a poster produced by NRCS. It is available for purchase.
IASWCD Organizational Information
Budgets, Board minutes, and more area all available in our Board Page.